Senior Accounting Associate (remote)
About The Accountkeepers
The Accountkeepers is not your typical bookkeeping firm. We are the better alternative to hiring an in-house bookkeeper. Every Accountkeepers client has a dedicated accounting team – an accounting associate for the day-to-day work, and an accounting manager to ensure it's all done correctly. While our company is virtual, our teams interact with each other and their clients face to face through video calls. We have a personal relationship with our clients.
The Accountkeepers also leverages the best accounting technology available. We move all our clients to a cloud-based accounting and file storage system, and we automate roughly 50% of our clients' bookkeeping work. This increases accuracy, and lowers cost.
Senior Accounting Associate Job Description
We are looking for an experienced Senior Accounting Associate who is interested in working at a different kind of company. You’ve read our Company and Workplace Values below, so you know what we mean by that. We are looking for someone who loves accounting, takes pride in serving their clients, is an excellent communicator, embraces accounting technology, has some experience supervising other accountants, works well in a fast-paced and changing environment, and doesn’t need an office environment to work successfully.
Senior Accounting Associate Responsibilities and Expectations:
The Senior Accounting Associate will manage multiple clients with the support of an Accounting Manager, who is the senior client contact and oversees the work of a team of accountants. The Senior Accounting Associate will also support the Accounting Manager with team oversight by serving as a resource to the Accounting Associates, training and mentoring them when new challenges arise, and knowing when to bring complex accounting issues to the Accounting Manager. The Senior Accounting Associate will also ensure that the day-to-day work of the Accounting Associates is complete, accurate, and on-time by reviewing work and documentation.
With the support of the Accounting Manager, the Senior Accounting Associate is responsible for:
Client Accounting (approximately 70%)
- All AR accounting, including invoicing and payment applications
- Paying client’s bills using Bill.com and all associated accounting
- Running payroll and all payroll accounting
- All bank reconciliations and credit card reconciliations
- All adjusting entries
- Creating and updating Client Checklists, Client Guides, and Work Papers for all their clients as things change and new things come up
- Generating, distributing and e-filing 1099s annually
- Workers Compensation audits
- Communicating with clients weekly on outstanding questions you have
- Any other accounting-related work for a client including bringing their books up-to-date and special projects
Review & Oversight (approximately 30%)
- Responsible for ensuring the completion of Accounting Associates’ day-to-day work and monthly financial statements
- Serve as a training and accounting knowledge resource for a team of Accounting Associates
- Ensure that complex accounting challenges are elevated to the Accounting Manager
- Responsible for ensuring all client work is complete and documented according to The Accountkeepers’ policies and procedures
- Communicating proactively with Accounting Manager when work is inaccurate or behind schedule
Other Expectations of Working with The Accountkeepers
- Being a contact for our clients means you must be able to manage relationships and meet expectations. You should know your clients well, and understand their unique needs.
- Managing multiple clients means you are highly organized, and don’t need anyone to remind you of what needs to be done for your client work.
- Using your own checklists and manuals daily to ensure everything gets done in a timely manner and nothing gets dropped.
- Training and mentoring others means you have to be a proactive and empathetic manager. Although Accounting Associates report to the Accounting Manager, you will be a key resource for them and they should feel comfortable asking you for help.
- Asking questions when you don’t know something. We don’t expect you to know everything! We have experienced senior accountants on your team to answer your questions.
- Meet with clients periodically via video call, to maintain the relationship.
- Minimum 6 years of experience full-charge bookkeeping, including monthly close responsibilities
- 2+ years using QuickBooks Online
- Strong familiarity with GAAP
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a client-facing role in a multiple-client accounting environment required
- Some experience supervising accounting staff required
- Experience with bank reconciliations, credit card reconciliations, AP and AR accounting required
- Experience running payroll required
- Experience with 1099s and workers compensation audits
- Associate’s or Bachelors’ degree in accounting required
- Exceptional attention to detail required
- QuickBooks ProAdvisor Certification preferred
- Experience with Expensify, Bill.com, Concur, and/or other similar tools a plus
- Home office with reliable, secure internet and quiet, professional space to take client video calls
- Experience working remotely, self-starter work ethic
- Comfortable with, and like using, new technologies
- Strong written communication skills
- You will have multiple clients, so you have to be organized
- You can’t be afraid to ask questions
- You don’t shy away from a challenge, and like fast-paced work environments
- Must be a strong team player with a sense of humor
- We can only consider candidates who are already authorized to work in the United States
Perks of working with The Accountkeepers:
- Work from home
- Unlimited paid time off, with the understanding that you must ensure your work is covered when taking time off
- Salaried position, competitive pay
- Medical, dental and vision for you and your dependents (75% contribution from TAK)
- FSA and HSA offered
- TAK contributes 5% of your salary to a 401k, no match required
- Life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible schedules available
- Training opportunities
- Paid parental leave
Our Hiring Process & Application Instructions
Thanks for your interest in our Senior Accounting Associate position! We thought you would appreciate a summary of the hiring process, so you know what to expect. We know how much time and effort goes into applying to job postings, and we appreciate your time. Please note we receive hundreds of applications when we post a job, and so are unable to inform candidates if they have not moved on to the next step.
Also, we ask that all applicants please read our Company and Workplace Values below to make sure we’re a good match before submitting an application.
- Applications will be reviewed as they are received; final deadline for applications is Friday, May 24th at 11:59pm ET
- Select candidates will be asked to submit a writing sample in response to several question prompts
- Within a few days, candidates selected to move forward will be invited to a 120-minute video interview (via Zoom) and skills test
- Final interviews will be held via video conference call (Zoom)
- If selected for this position, we will request two references from past employers and a credit report, and we will conduct a background check
To apply: Please submit your resume (2 pages maximum), cover letter (1 page maximum), and answers to our application questions through Workable. Thank you!
The Accountkeepers' Company & Workplace Values:
This is not your ordinary work environment. We are building a community of awesome accounting professionals whose company will work for them, not just the other way around. The culture of this company is one of generosity. It is a culture of we and not I.
Our Company Values can be found on TAK’s website, and outline what our clients can expect of us.
In addition, our Workplace Values (below) guide how we operate as a company and what we expect of each other:
TAK is a 100% remote workplace. We believe in flexible schedules, we don’t track vacation days, and we don’t mind people working a non-traditional schedule. If it works for your clients and your team, it works for TAK. We hire competent professionals who know how to manage the many demands on their time, and we trust them to do it successfully.
We designed The Accountkeepers’ workplace so that it feels like you’re working for yourself, but without any of the downsides like unreliable pay and insecurity. With us, you get flexibility, a reliable paycheck and amazing benefits. But you also get a team. TAK team members support each other constantly, working independently to achieve common goals.
As a remote work environment, communication is key. Communication with our clients and communication with our colleagues. We treasure open, honest, and vulnerable conversations. Without successful communication channels, we cannot achieve our goals for our clients or our company.
Working remotely for multiple clients means you have many demands on your time, from many different angles, so you need to be incredibly well organized.
You should always have capacity to help a colleague who’s out on parental leave, research a new technology that could help our clients or help us, or step in for someone on vacation. We should never be at full capacity with our regular day to day work. If you are, speak up!
We believe in work life balance; however you define it. We believe in being fully present when you’re “on” and disconnected when you’re “off”. We don’t believe in burning the candle from both ends.